In Canvas environments using LTI 1.1, Admins can enable a global setting to give Instructors the option to implement a dynamic lock on their Canvas Assignments. The dynamic lock will allow students to submit videos for assignments using the Media Chooser. Video Assignments submitted by students can either be locked to prevent any changes from being made, or students can be allowed to resubmit assignments as many times as they'd like until the due date of the assignment.
Enabling the LTI 1.1 Tool
- Log into Canvas as an Admin.
- From the Canvas Navigation Menu, click the Admin option and select your organization.
- Select Settings, then Apps, and click on View App Configurations.
- Select +App.
- From the Configuration Type drop-down menu, select Paste XML.
- Enter a Name for your app, and enter the Consumer Key and Shared Secret provided to you by your Customer Success Manager.
- Your XML Configuration can be found by entering the following URL into your web browser.
- For link_selection, replace YuJa Media with a unique identifiable name that will appear as an External Tool for Modules.
- For assignment_selection, replace YuJa Media with a unique identifiable name that will appear as an External Tool for Submission types in Assignments.
- For homework_submission, replace YuJa Media with a unique identifiable name that will allow the Media Chooser to function.
- For course_navigation, replace YuJa with a unique identifiable name that will appear in the navigation bar as an LTI link.
Integrating the LTI 1.1 tool with the Video Platform
After creating the LTI 1.1 tool within Canvas, the tool must be linked with the Video Platform.
- Log into the Video Platform as an Admin.
- Click the Main Menu icon, and select Admin Panel. Then, select Integrations from the left-side navigation panel.
- Under the Select Integration drop-down menu, select LMS API.
- From the Choose LMS drop-down menu, select Canvas, and then enter your Canvas URL.
- For API Configuration, fill in the options as follows:
- App ID = Client ID
- App Key = API Key
- Click Save located on the top-right corner, and then click Allow API Access.
- Click Authorize to complete the integration process.
Enabling Content Lock at the Organizational Level
Admins have the ability to lock video submissions to an assignment by default for the entire Organization.
- Navigate to the Admin Panel from the Main Menu located in the top-right corner.
- Hover your mouse over the left-side menu to expand it and select Integrations.
- Under Select Integration, choose LMS via LTI 1.1.
- Under LMS Gradebook Settings, check the box to Prevent modifying, moving, and deleting videos embedded by students.
- Available to Canvas users only: Students can be given flexibility with their submission by being able to change submitted content before the due date by checking the box to Allow modifying, moving, and deleting submitted videos before the due date of LTI Assignments.
- Click Save.
Enabling Lock at the Course Level
Instructors can lock video assignments at the course level if it has not been set for the entire Organization.
- Navigate to Courses & Groups from the Main Menu.
- Search for and select the course channel from the left-side list.
- Click Edit for the selected course channel.
- Select Yes to enable Lock videos embedded by students in an LMS.
- Available to Canvas users only: Check the box to Allow modifying, moving, and deleting submitted videos before the due date of LTI Assignments.
- Click Save.
Creating an Assignment
- Log in to Canvas as an Instructor and navigate to a Canvas course.
- Select Assignments from the left-hand menu and click +Assignment to create a new assignment.
- Enter an assignment Title and Description.
- In the Points field, specify the number of points associated with the assignment. Select an Assignment Group you would like the assignment to be associated with, and select how the grade will be displayed.
- In the Submission Type field, select Online → File Uploads.
- In the Assign field, specify the assignment Due Date, Available From, and Until date.
- Select Save to save your assignment.
Submitting an Assignment as a Student
- Log in to Canvas as a student and navigate to the Canvas course.
- Click on Assignments from the course navigation bar on the left-hand menu and open the assignment.
- Select the Start Assignment button to open the Canvas File Upload field.
- Select the unique identifiable name created earlier for homework_submission from the tabs listed above Media Chooser
- Click Authorize.
- To record a new video, select Record Content.
- From the drop-down menu, select Record from your Window PC or Mac if you would like to record using YuJa Software Capture, or Record with Browser Capture Studio if you would like to record within the browser.
- If you would like to record using YuJa Software Capture, select Download App to download the application and run the installation.
- Select Launch Recording once either option has been selected to start your recording, and save your recording to the Video Platform. To learn how to use Browser Capture Studio or YuJa Software Capture please visit our support guides.
- If you would like to upload a recording to the Video Platform, select Upload Media.
- Choose Video from the list of available media formats, and then select Browse to locate and upload your video.
- Once the video has been uploaded to the Video Platform, navigate to the Choose Media tab.
- Select your recording to add it to the assignment submission.
- Click Submit Assignment to finalize your submission.