The first step to ensure that your course documents are processed through Panorama, you will need to install the Browser plugin. The browser plugin is free and designed only to scan documents attached to your courses in D2L.
- From the D2L course navigation bar, find and click on Panorama.
- On the next page, you will find the Panorama console. Click on the tab titled User Setup.
- Click on YuJa Panorama Extension. This will display the official browser plugin that will identify and scan your documents.
- Once the plugin is installed, the setup is complete! All documents currently attached to D2L will scan and produce official Accessibility Reports and Alternative Formats within 15-20 minutes after installation.
For best performance, we recommend installing the extension only on Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browsers.
Understanding Accessibility Reports
Once Panorama has finished scanning all documents, the Accessibility Reports will be displayed as colorful gauges as official scores for your documents.
- For a more detailed breakdown of the accessibility score, click on the Meter icon to open the full Accessibility Report.
- Under the View Issues section, the Content Owner can scroll through the summary of issues. The View Issues section will summarize all missing accessibility components from missing page numbers, missing titles, or issues with color contrasts.
- Every issue found will include a summary of how to resolve the matter under the How to Fix drop-down menu.
Improving the Accessibility Score
Once you have read through the Accessibility Report, the content can go through and fix the highlighted issues directly on your document. Once all of the improvements have been made, the content owner can drag and drop their corrected document into the Accessibility Report window under the Upload Improved Version section.
Accessing Alternative Formats
Due to the variety of viewer needs today, students can retrieve alternative file formats to meet their individual needs. Whether a visually impaired viewer requires text-to-speech narration for easier access to digital content, or if they prefer to read the document in a more convenient web format, Panorama's Alternative Formats is a great resource available directly within the LMS course section. Instructors can also toggle Visible to Students ON or OFF to enable or disable Student access to individual files.
Alternative Formats are generated on your documents automatically and do not require any extra configuration or editing in D2L on your behalf.
- Once the user finds the course document, there will be an Alternative Formats icon to the right of the document title.
- Click on the Alternative Formats icon to display the list of available resources.
- Below is the list of available Panorama Alternative Formats:
- Source File: View the document in its original format, suitable for download viewing.
- PDF: View the document in PDF format, suitable for both online and download viewing.
- Immersive Reader: Allows for customizations to text preferences, grammar options, and reading preferences while following along with the audio playback.
- Text File: View the document in a pure text format without any formatting styles, suitable for both online and download viewing.
- EPUB: View the document in the ebook format, suitable for any ebook reader application.
- Braille: View the document in the braille format, suitable for download viewing (a braille reader is required).
- Audio Podcast: Audio playback for documents, suitable for both online and download listening.
- Math Formats: Convert documents containing math equations into LaTeX, clear text (i.e. numbers and symbols to words), or MP3 files.
- LaTeX: Convert documents into LaTeX document format.
- Math Text (ClearSpeak): Convert documents into printed English, including numbers and symbols.
- ClearSpeak Audio: Convert documents to MP3.
- Language Translation: Translate a document automatically to over 100 languages, which can be downloaded.