RTMP (Real-time messaging protocol) ingestion enables Administrators to broadcast live events to tens of thousands of viewers like a graduation or sporting event. Administrators must install third-party streaming software to a local device, generate an Ingested Stream in the Video Platform, then connect the Ingested Stream to the streaming software using a Server URL and Stream Key.
Accessing the RTMP Live Streaming Management Tools
An RTMP Live Stream can only be managed by an Administrator.
- Log in to the Video Platform as an Administrator.
- Click the Main Menu icon in the top-right corner of the webpage and select Admin Panel.
- Select RTMP Streams from the left-hand sidebar.
Creating an Ingested Stream
To connect the Video Platform to a third-party streaming software, Admins must create an Ingested Stream in the Video Platform by going to the RTMP Stream tab within the Admin Panel.
- Click on Create Ingested Stream.
- Insert a Title and Description for the ingested stream connect.
- Click Confirm to complete the creation process.
Managing an Ingested Live Stream
Once an Ingested Live Stream is created, Administrators can manage them from the RTMP Live Streams menu. Administrators can review the status (StandBy, Streaming, and Inactive) of each RTMP Live Stream and access the Server URL and Stream Key required to connect the Video Platform to the third-party streaming software.
- Click Activate to begin the process of placing a stream in the StandBy status.
- Set up the recording session by providing a Capture Title and Capture Description.
- Select the Session Owner from the drop-down menu and enter the Length of the stream to indicate how long the session will last.
- Select Save, Publish, and Live Stream Locations by clicking Change next to each option.
- Save Location: The Session Owner's personal location within My Media where the live stream will be saved. Only a single location can be selected.
- Publish Location (Optional): Select multiple locations to save the live stream once it's over. This includes saving to the EnterpriseTube and CampusTube
- Live Stream Location (Optional): Select multiple locations where the live stream can be viewed. This includes EnterpriseTube. Once the live stream is over, it will no longer be available in the selected location(s).
- Saving to a Publish Location will automatically set the same Live Stream Location. If you would like to remove the automatically added Live Stream Location or a Publish Location you no longer desire, click the X icon next to the location.
- Click Advanced Options if you would like to restrict live chat settings or access to the live stream.
- Below is the list of available Live Chat Settings. You may select one and click Save or access Link Security settings.
- Disable: Disable live chat view for all.
- Platform Authentication (Platform or Single Sign On): All participants are able to view the live chat; however, only those who have joined through the Platform may participate in the live chat.
- Public: Anyone who accesses the live stream can view and participate in the live chat.
- Below is the list of available Link Security settings. You may select one or multiple settings. Once done, click Save.
- Password or Authentication Restriction: Add a simple password or request a login through the Video Platform to access the stream.
- IP Range and Address Restriction: Enter an IP address. Only those with the same IP address will be able to access the stream.
- Location Restriction: Set a country and a region. Only those within the region will be able to access the stream.
- Domain Restriction: Enter a valid domain. Only those with the domain link will be able to access the stream.
- Administrators can also enable the following options:
- Disable Recording: The live stream will not be recorded.
- Live 24/7: The live stream will run continuously at all times.
- Use permanent URL: The same URL will be used for future live streams.
- After adjusting all your settings, click Start Session to change the status to StandBy.
- Once the RTMP Live Stream is in StandBy, click Details to access the details of the live stream, including the Server URL and Stream Key required to connect the Video Platform to the third-party RTMP Live Streaming software, and the Watch Stream URL and Embed Codes required to provide Users access to watch the live streaming event. To learn more about using the Server URL and Stream Key to connect the Video Platform to commonly used third-party RTMP streaming tools, click here.
- Once the RTMP Live stream is Streaming, click Preview to monitor the Live Stream.
- Click Stop to end the session.
- To delete the RTMP Live Stream, click the Delete button, then Delete Stream.
Did you know? RTMP Live Stream Analytics can be accessed through Usage & Analytics in the Video Platform. To learn more, click here.