RTMP (Real-time messaging protocol) ingestion enables Administrators to broadcast live events to tens of thousands of viewers like a graduation or sporting event. Administrators must install a third-party streaming software to a local device, generate an Ingested Stream in the Video Platform, then connect the Ingested Stream to the streaming software using a Server URL and Stream Key.
Accessing the RTMP Live Streaming Management Tools
An RTMP Live Stream can only be managed by an Administrator.
- Log in to the Video Platform as an Administrator.
- Click the Main Menu icon in the top-right corner of the webpage and select Admin Panel.
- Select RTMP Streams from the left-hand sidebar.
Creating an Ingested Stream
To connect the Video Platform to a third-party streaming software, Admins must create an Ingested Stream in the Video Platform by going to the RTMP Stream tab within the Admin Panel.
- Click on Create Ingested Stream.
- Insert a Title and Description for the ingested stream connect.
- Click Confirm to complete the creation process.
Managing an Ingested Live Stream
Once an Ingested Live Stream is created, Administrators can manage them from the RTMP Live Streams menu. Administrators can review the status (StandBy, Streaming, and Inactive) of each RTMP Live Stream and access the Server URL and Stream Key required to connect the Video Platform to the third-party streaming software.
- Click Activate to begin the process of placing a stream in the StandBy status.
- Set up the recording session by providing a Capture Title and Capture Description.
- Select the Session Owner from the drop-down menu and then click Change if you would like to set a new save location.
- Click the Publish Location drop-down menu if you'd like to publish the session to a location within the Video Platform.
- Under Length, enter how long the session will last.
- Click Livestream Security Settings if you would like to restrict access to the live stream.
- Below is the list of available security settings. You may select one or multiple settings.
- Once done, click Save.
- Password or Authentication Restriction: Add a simple password or request a login through the Video Platform to access the stream.
- IP Range and Address Restriction: Enter an IP address. Only those with the same IP address will be able to access the stream.
- Location Restriction: Set a country and a region. Only those within the region will be able to access the stream.
- Domain Restriction: Enter a valid domain. Only those with the domain link will be able to access the stream.
- Administrators can also disable the recording of RTMP content by selecting Disable Recording and enable 24/7 continuous streaming by selecting Live 24/7.
- After adjusting all your settings, click Start Session to change status to StandBy.
- Once the RTMP Live Stream is in StandBy, click Details to access the details of the live stream, including the Server URL and Stream Key required to connect the Video Platform to the third-party RTMP Live Streaming software, and the Watch Stream URL and Embed Codes required to provide Users access to watch the live streaming event. To learn more about using the Server URL and Stream Key to connect the Video Platform to commonly used third-party RTMP streaming tools, click here.
- Once the RTMP Live stream is Streaming, click Preview to monitor the Live Stream.
- Click Stop to end the session.
- To delete the RTMP Live Stream, click the Delete button, then Delete Stream.
Did you know? RTMP Live Stream Analytics can be accessed through Usage & Analytics in the Video Platform. To learn more, click here.