RTMP (Real-time messaging protocol) ingestion enables Administrators to broadcast live events to tens of thousands of viewers like a graduation or sporting event. Administrators must install a third-party streaming software to a local device, generate a Ingested Stream in the Video Platform, then connect the Ingested Stream to the streaming software using a Server URL and Stream Key.
Accessing the RTMP Live Streaming Management Tools
An RTMP Live Stream can only be managed by an Administrator.
- Log in to the Video Platform as a Administrator.
- Click the Main Menu icon in the top-right corner of the webpage and select Admin Panel.
- Select RTMP Streams from the left-hand sidebar.
Creating an Ingested Stream
To connect the Video Platform to a third-party streaming software, Admins must create an Ingested Stream in the Video Platform by going to the RTMP Stream tab within the Admin Panel.
- Click on Create Ingested Stream.
- Insert a Title and Description for the ingested stream connect.
- Click Confirm to complete the creation process.
Managing an Ingested Live Stream
Once a Ingested Live Stream is created, Administrators can manage them from the RTMP Live Streams menu. Administrators can review the status (StandBy, Streaming and Inactive) of each RTMP Live Stream and access the Server URL and Stream Key required to connect the Video Platform to the third-party streaming software.
- Click Activate to begin the process of placing a stream in the StandBy status.
- Set up the recording session by providing a Capture Title, Capture Description, Session Owner, Save Location, Publish Location, Length and more. Administrators can also disable recording of RTMP content by selecting Disable Recording and enable 24/7 continuous streaming by selecting Live 24/7.
- Click the Start Session button, and the status will change to StandBy.
- Once the RTMP Live Stream is in StandBy, click Details to access the details of the live stream including the Server URL and Stream Key required connect the Video Platform to the third-party RTMP Live Streaming software, and the Watch Stream URL and Embed Codes required to provide Users access to watch live streaming event. To learn more about using the Server URL and Stream Key to connect the Video Platform to commonly used third-party RTMP streaming tools, click here.
- Once the RTMP Live stream is Streaming, click Preview to monitor the Live Stream.
- Click Stop to end the session.
- To delete the RTMP Live Stream, click the Delete button, then Delete Stream.
Did you know? RTMP Live Stream Analytics can be access through Usage & Analytics in the Video Platform. To learn more, click here.