Deep Linking is a protocol that enables LTI-based tools to pass back authentication information for, among other things, embedded videos. Within Moodle, the Deep Link Tool can be used to embed content using a specified Moodle-defined Deep Linking workflow. Videos posted to Moodle using the Moodle Deep Link Tool workflow will be able to track analytics (i.e. the YuJa user watching the video will be known as opposed to the viewer being marked as “Anonymous”).
Currently Moodle does not support Deep Link Tool-based embedding via text editors, however the Moodle Development Community has an open ticket to support Deep Linking through Text Editors in the future (see https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-56229 and https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=354590)
Installing the Deep Linking Tool
The Deep Link Tool must be installed through the Moodle LMS.
- Navigate to Site Administrator > Plugins > Activity Modules > External Tool > Manage Tools.
- Click Configure a tool manually. Enter the following fields:
- Tool name: YuJa Media Chooser with Grade Book Sync
- Tool URL: https://<your_base_url>/LMSEntry.jsp
- Consumer key: <your_consumer_key>
- Shared secret: <your_shared_secret>
- Tool configuration usage: Show in activity chooser and as a preconfigured tool
- Click Show more… and select the Content-Item Message checkbox
Uploading a Video with the Deep Linking Tool
Once deep linking is enabled, you may upload video using the installed tools.
- Navigate to the desired Course in Moodle.
- Click the Gear icon in the top right, and choose Turn Editing On.
- Select Add an Activity or Resource under your desired topic.
- Under Activities, click on the tool, YuJa Media Chooser with Grade Book Sync.
- Click Add, then click Select Content. This will open up the Media Chooser.
- Scroll down and select a video.
- Click Save and Return to Course or Save and Display. Your video will now be available as an Activity under your topic.