Content Item Message is a protocol that enables LTI-based tools to pass back authentication information for, among other things, embedded videos. Within Moodle, CIM can be used to embed content using a specified Moodle-defined CIM workflow. Videos posted to Moodle using the Moodle CIM workflow will be able to track analytics (i.e. the YuJa user watching the video will be known as opposed to the viewer being marked as “Anonymous”).
Currently Moodle does not support CIM-based embedding via text editors, however the Moodle Development Community has an open ticket to support LTI Content Item through Text Editors in the future (see https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-56229 and https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=354590)
Installing the CIM Tool
The CIM Tool must be installed through the Moodle LMS.
- Navigate to Site Administrator > Plugins > Activity Modules > External Tool > Manage Tools.
- Click Configure a tool manually. Enter the following fields: Tool Name: YuJa Media Chooser with CIM
Tool URL: https://<your_base_url>/LMSEntry.jsp
Consumer key: <your_consumer_key>
Shared secret: <your_shared_secret>
Tool Configuration usage: Show in activity chooser and as a preconfigured tool
In Show more…:
Select Content-Item Message checkbox
Uploading Video with CIM
Once CIM is enabled, you may upload video using the installed tools.
- Navigate to the desired Course in Moodle.
- Click the Gear icon in the top right, and choose Turn Editing On.
- Select Add an Activity or Resource under your desired topic.
- Under Activities, click on the tool, YuJa Media Chooser with CIM.
- Click Add, then click Select Content. This will open up the Media Chooser.
- Scroll down and select a video.
- Click Save and Return to Course or Save and Display. Your video will now be available as an Activity under your topic.