Instructors can requests students submit a video as part of an Canvas assignment. Students can use the Media Chooser to embed their video submission so the video appears directly in the Canvas Speedgrader making it convenient for Instructors to view and grade them.
Creating a Canvas Assignment
- Login to Canvas as an Instructor and navigate to a Canvas course.
- Select Assignments from the left hand menu and click +Assignment to create a new assignment.
- Enter an assignment Title and Description.
- In the Points field, specify the number of points associated with the assignment.
- In the Submission Type field, select Online → Text Entry.
- In the Assign field, specify the assignment Due Date, Available From and Until date.
- Select Save to save your assignment.
Creating an Assignment Rubric
Instructors can add a Rubric to their assignment to provide students grading criteria of the assignment.
- From the Canvas assignment, select +Rubric.
- In the Title field, enter the name of the Rubric.
- In the Description of Criteria field, enter the description of the criteria value.
- In the Ratings field, add, remove and edit possible marks students can receive on a Criteria.
- In the Pts field, specify the maximum number of points a student can receive on a Criteria.
- Enable Use this rubric for assignment grading to use the rubric in the Canvas Speedgrader.
- Select Create Rubric.
Submitting the Assignment as a Student
Once the Assignment is established by the course Instructor, Students can submit their Video Platform video from the assignment submission page.
- Log in to Canvas as a student and navigate to the Canvas course.
- Click on Assignments from the course navigation bar on the left-hand menu and open the assignment.
- Select the Start Assignment button to open the Canvas Text Entry field.
- From the text editor, select the Plug icon and then YuJa Media to open the YuJa Media Chooser.
- Click Record to record a new video or select Browse to upload a video file to the Media Collection. Select the video from Media and Insert Content to insert the video into the Canvas text editor.
- Click Submit Assignment to submit the assignment.
Grading a Student Submission in the Canvas Speedgrader
Student submitted videos are directly visible in the Canvas Speedgrader.
- From the Canvas assignment, select Speedgrader from the right-hand sidebar.
- Select a student submission to grade from the top right drop-down menu.
- Click the play button to watch the student submitted video.
- In the Grade out of field, specify the student score for the assignment.
- Select Submit, to submit the grade.