The ability to lock the User Type enables Administrators to set a role for an individual user that supersedes any role transmitted by an LMS or SSO. Use-cases for Lock User Type could include teaching assistants, graders, or staff that function in both a content creator and user role. Group-level locking is also available.
Using Lock User Type on an Individual Basis
Lock User Type is accessible to Administrators through the Roster.
- Navigate to the Admin Panel from the Main Menu.
- Choose Roster from the left-side menu.
- Locate the desired username in the Roster.
- Click on the entry in the Lock UserType column.
- Choose the desired setting.
Options include Locked, which blocks any automated change in User Type and Not Locked.
Not Locked allows the LMS or SSO to send a different User Type to the Platform. If your organization does not use an LMS or SSO, there is no need to use the Lock User Type function.
Using Group-level User Type Locking
Group-level User Type locking allows you to lock a user’s role within a given group, but not throughout the Platform.
- Navigate to Courses and Groups from the Main Menu.
- Choose the desired Course or Group. Click on Members.
- Select the user and click the User Type symbol. It looks like a person with an arrow next to the figure.
- Adjust the User Type within the Group. Click Yes to confirm the change.