The Data Management tool within the Admin Panel enables Administrators to create data policies to archive content based on views, type, user, and date of upload.
Creating a New Data Policy within the Video Platform
The initial step involves creating a custom Data Policy using Data Policy templates.
- Log in as an Administrator.
- Click on the Main Menu icon and select Admin Panel. Then, hover your mouse over the left-side panel to make it expand, then select Data Management.
- Once you have accessed the Data Management menu, select Create New Policy.
- Under Policy Name, add a name to the new policy.
- Under the Rule drop-down menu, select one of the eleven policy templates to create the new policy.
- Based on the template selected, you will be asked to include a custom value for the selected data. Below is a summary of options for customizing the policy rules.
- Added before _____ date: This rule will display a calendar to summarize all content added to the Video Platform prior to a certain date.
- Added before _____ days ago: This rule will ask for a value to summarize content added to the Video Platform prior to a specific amount of days.
- Added by users _____: This rule will ask for a selection of specific users from the zone Roster. The Data Policy will then provide results based on the selected users.
- Exclude users_____: This rule will also ask for a selection of specific users from the zone Roster. The Data Policy will provide results that do not include these specified users.
- Content Type_____: This rule will ask for specifications between Video, Non-Video, Test Proctoring Sessions, Mobile Upload, Video Platform Upload, Software Capture (PC), Software Capture (Apple), Auto-Scheduled Session, Zoom Import, Cisco Webex Import, Microsoft Teams Import, Class Collaborate Import, Ad-Hoc Hardware Hub Capture, Watch Point Ingestion, Browser Capture.
- Audio/Video not viewed for ______days: This rule will ask for a value to summarize content that is not viewed within the Video Platform within a specified amount of days.
- User inactive since ______ date: This rule will ask for a date and collect all users who have not logged in to the Video Platform since that date.
- Role: This rule will ask for specifications between Student, Instructor, or Administrator.
- Video Tag: This rule will ask you to input video tags. The Data Policy will then provide results based on the provided tags.
- Video Without Tag: This rule will ask to input video tags. The Data Policy will exclude results based on the tags provided.
- Video Length: This rule will ask for a length time and will ask to specify if videos Less Than, Greater Than, or Equals to value is required.
- File Size: This rule will ask for a value and will ask to specify units of memory between KB, MG, or GB.
- Locked Videos: This rule will display all videos that are Locked.
Content created using YuJa Software Capture may take 24 hours to be available for Policy Results.
Creating a Recurring Policy Action within the Video Platform
An Administrator can use the Policy Creator to run policies on a predefined schedule.
- Log in as an Administrator.
- Click on the Main Menu icon and select Admin Panel. Then, hover your mouse over the left-side panel to make it expand, and select Data Management.
- Select Create New Policy.
- Click Create Action.
- Configure the Recurring Policy Action. Below is a summary of options for creating recurring policy actions.
- Email Report: This action will send the report to a specific email, and under Action Interval, specify when you want the policy to run.
- Delete Transcodes: Deletes transcodes for videos that are at least 30 days old or have not received any views in the last 30 days.
- Archive To EVP: Add this action to Archive Media to an Administrator's My Media, and under Action Interval, specify when you want the policy to run.
- Archive To Himalayas: Add this action to archive the data directly to Himalayas, and under Action Interval, specify when you want the policy to run.
- Archive content and delete users: Add this action to remove a user and archive all video content associated with the user in Himalayas. Other media will be archived in the Video Platform before the user is deleted. For institutions without access to Himalayas, all media content will be archived in the Video Platform.
- Click Save.
Running a Data Policy within the Video Platform
Once a new Data Policy is created, the Administrator can run the policy to generate the data results.
- Within the Data Management section, find the created policy from the Selected Policy drop-down.
- Click on Run Policy.
- This will generate content results under the Matching Data section.
- Select Bulk Exclude to exclude selected content from the policy. To view the files that have been excluded from data policies, click on Exclusion List.
- Select Export Table to export the results of the policy as a CSV file. The downloadable link to the CSV file will be emailed to the Admin and will expire after 24 hours.
- Select Undo Archive to undo files being archived to the Video Platform.
- Select Bulk Archive to archive selected folders and media.
- Select Download ZIP to download media as a ZIP folder.
- Select Bulk Tag to add tags for the selected media within the policy.
Bulk Archiving Data
Once the data is generated, administrators can archive individual items under the Matching Data section, or choose to Bulk Archive from the list of results.
- Within the Matching Data section, either multi-select the boxes to the left of each result or click on the button labeled Select All That Match Policy which will pre-select all the results.
- Once the results are selected, click on Bulk Archive at the top right of the Matching Data section.
- Once the Bulk Archive button is selected, the Video Platform will ask you to confirm to archive the selected media.
- After clicking on Yes, you will be prompted to enter the information where you would like to store the selected media.
- Next, you will be asked to choose which Archive you want. You can choose Active Archive to Video Platform if you want to archive the files within the Video Platform or choose Cold Archive to Himalayas Platform if you want to store the archived files in Himalayas.
Under the drop-down for the "Select the user..." section that the archived folder will be created in, only Administrator accounts can be chosen. Selecting the options will allocate the archived content into the Administrator's My Media. The archive process will also remove optional transcodes and place a thumbnail in the Selected Users account, allowing them to Play, Delete, and Restore the file.
Users may receive a notification when Administrators archive their media.
Once the archived content is allocated to the Administrator's My Media, the Administrator has a number of options to manage the content. This includes deleting the folder to reduce storage or downloading the content outside of the Video Platform. For more information on Bulk Media Management options, please see our related article here.