The Data Management tool within the Admin Panel enables Administrators to create data policies to archive content based on video views, type, user, and date of upload.
Creating a New Data Policy within the Video Platform
The initial step involves creating a custom Data Policy using six possible policy templates from the Admin Panel.
- Log in as an Administrator.
- Go to the Admin Panel and select the Data Management menu.
- Once you have accessed the Data Management menu, select Create New Policy.
- Under Policy Name, add a nickname to the new policy.
- Under the Rule drop-down, select one of the six policy templates to create the new policy.
- Based on the template selected, you will be asked to include a custom value for the selected data. Below is a summary of options for customizing the policy rules.
- Added before _____ date: This rule will display a calendar to summarize all content added to the Video Platform prior to a certain date.
- Added before _____ days ago: This rule will ask for a value to summarize content added to the Video Platform prior to a specific amount of days.
- Added by users _____: This rule will ask for a selection of specific users from the zone Roster. The Data Policy will then provide results based on the selected users.
- Exclude users_____: This rule will also ask for a selection of specific users from the zone Roster. The Data Policy will provide results to not include these specified users.
- Content Type_____: This rule will ask for specification between Video, Non-Video, Exam Proctoring Sessions, Mobile Uploads, EVP Upload, PC-YuJa Software Capture, Mac-YuJa Software Capture, Scheduled Session, Zoom, Webex, Microsoft Teams, Blackboard Collaborate, Hardware Recording, Watch Point Upload, Browser Capture, Group Meeting or Live Streaming.
- Audio/Video not viewed for ______days: This rule will ask for a value to summarize content that is not viewed within the Video Platform within a specified amount of days.
- Role: This rule will ask for specifications between Student, Instructor, or Administrator.
- Video Tag: This rule will ask to input video tags. The Data Policy will then provide results based on the provided tags.
Creating a Recurring Policy Action within the Video Platform
An Administrator can use the Policy Creator run policies on a predefined schedule.
- Log in as an Administrator.
- Go to the Admin Panel and select the Data Management tab.
- Select Create New Policy.
- Click Create Action.
- Configure the Recurring Policy Action. Below is a summary of options for creating the recurring policy actions.
- Email Report: Add this action to send the report to a specific email and under Action Interval, specify when you want the policy to run.
- Delete Optional Transcodes: Add this action to delete the optional transcode and under Action Interval, specify when you want the policy to run.
- Archive To Himalayas: Add this action to archive the data directly to Himalayas and under Action Interval, specify when you want the policy to run.
Running a Data Policy within the Video Platform
Once a new Data Policy is created, the Administrator can run the policy to generate the data results.
- Within the Data Management section, find the created policy from the Selected Policy drop-down.
- Click on Run Policy.
- This will generate content results under the Matching Data section.
- Select Bulk Exclude to exclude the selected folders and media from the list.
- Select Export Table to export the results of the policy as a .csv file. The downloadable link to the .csv file will be emailed to the Admin and will expire after 24 hours.
- Select Bulk Archive to archive selected folders and media.
- Select Download Zip to download media as a Zip folder.
- Select Bulk Tag to add tags for the selected media within the policy.
Bulk Archiving Data
Once the data is generated, Administrators can archive individual items under the Matching Data section, or choose to Bulk Archive from the list of results.
- Within the Matching Data section, either multi-select the boxes to the left of each result or click on the button labeled Select All That Match Policy which will pre-select all the results.
- Once the results are selected, click on Bulk Archive at the top right of the Matching Data section.
- Once the Bulk Archive button is selected, the Video Platform will ask the Administrator if you are sure to archive the selected media.
- After clicking on Yes, you will be prompt to enter the information where you would like to store the selected media.
Under the drop-down for the "Select the user..." section that the archived folder will be created in, it is recommended that an Administrator is chosen. This will allocate the archived content into the Administrator's My Media.
Users may receive a notification when Administrators archive their media.
Once the archived content is allocated to the Administrator's My Media, the Administrator has a number of options to manage the content. This includes deleting the folder to reduce storage or downloading the content outside of the Video Platform. For more information on Bulk Media Management options, please see our related article here.